Monday, November 9, 2009

Why are these bands so popular?

My friend, Jason once told me that if a homeless man was beating on a garbage can, I would think he was the most amazing musician. I did see Bjork's movie Dancer in the Dark and while this concept may not be unheard of, there are plenty of bands/artists that I can't stand.

I started compiling a list of bands that are incredibly popular, but when I hear it, I get urges to punch people in the face. Here are a few of my main offenders:

- Nickelback - Chad Kroeger's voice makes me feel like I'm eternally trapped in a 1'x 1' room with no windows or doors
- Shinedown - I have friends in the record industry that represent this band...all I can say is that the record label really did their job. Holy overkill!
- Wilco - So many people worship this band, but I just plain don't get it
- Radiohead - I know I'm going to get blasted for this one. Their musicianship is brilliant - without question. I can't stand Thom Yorke's falsetto!
- Fleetwood Mac AND Stevie Nicks - 30+ years of grating on my nerves. I should have learned how to drown them out by now
-Daughtry - you are getting dangerously close. STFU!

Okay, enough on the trip to negative-town. I understand that not everyone will have the same tastes as me and trust me, as much as I hear these crap bands, I'd love to figure out a reason to love them.

In the meantime, if you are on the fence about the following bands or styles, I understand. I was too - and have happily converted to trumpet my love!

- Grateful Dead - I don't think this legendary jam band sounded good to ANYONE the first time they heard it unless they were high as a kite. After a fun night of partying in college, I finally, finally saw the light (or maybe Jerry Garcia in a room lit with black light). Now the Grateful Dead channel is my #1 preset on my XM Radio. "She's a summer lovin' in Spring, Fall, and Winter..she can make happy any man alive." - Sugar Magnolia


Ryan Adams - He has been a cool artist to learn to love. Over the years, his music has been classified as Alt-Country. True, but his music has truly been all over the map when it comes to styles and his experimentation. I've noticed he's become more accessible in later years. With Ryan's brilliance and passion, all you need is to listen to ONE hook or ONE line that grabs you, and he's eternally and happily planted right under your skin. You just want more. Plus, he puts on a great live show!


-Rap / Hip-Hop Music - This has been one of my favorite acquired love interests. I hear so many people complain that hip-hop is just noise and sampled tracks shouting about bitches and da' hood. Granted, I can't relate to lyrics about bullets whizzing by my head or growing up with gangs around. I grew up in an affluent town called Watchung, New Jersey. But here's what I did find. When you start to actually listen - you'll realize there is so much talent in freestyling and rapping THAT FAST. How do they think of those rhymes and put 'em together so quickly? To me, it's an art form that deserves proper respect. Add a funky hook and a fat beat and voila! I'm in love.



Discovering redeeming qualities in music that make my ears bleed can be deeply satisfying. It allows me to keep expanding my musical horizons and continue to bring delicious new music to satisfy your ears, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment